It is rightly said, we can do so little alone but together we can move mountains. Team work is the key for an organization to prosper and individuals to climb the success ladder. Still, the idea of supporting each other on the office floor is ceasing to exist and there seems to be meager pondering on the same. It is the dearth of compassion among fellow colleagues that is making room for an uncooperative and toxic work environment.
What are the major benefits of Showing Compassion at Workplace?
An organization that promotes kindness, empathy, and compassion among colleagues enjoys the following benefits:
- Employees seek and tend to continue in an organization that promotes happiness and empathy – Leading to enhanced employee retention.
- Healthy interpersonal relationships among employees motivate them to give their 100% – Leading to formation of an efficient work system.
- Team members happily congregate to achieve a common goal for organizational profit – Leading to collaborative accomplishing of targets.
- There is undying trust building, mutual links, and exchange of ideas among fellow workmates – leading to reduced stress and, mental and physical well-being.
- Healthy flow of communication and transparency in process – Leading to reduced amount of miscommunication.
What are the best ways one can show Compassion to Colleagues?
Here’s what you can do, when you notice or come across a colleague who is in pain, due to personal or professional reasons:
- The best form of compassion is active listening without judging or criticizing, or hurting someone’s feelings.
- Try to give them appropriate solutions to their problems taking cue from your life experiences.
- Give your best shot at making them feel secure and comfortable. It might be as simple as taking your colleague for a walk or having coffee together.
Any good deed starts from you. You can be the torch bearer to spread the notion of love, care, and kindness at work. Take a moment to compliment yourself every day for something good that you have done. Forgive yourself for the wrong doings and promise not to repeat them. Make a phone call to someone you want to thank or apologize. If you feel good within yourself, the perception of compassion is bound to reflect and exude from you.
Compassion with Office Colleagues during Coved-19
With the unasked for entry of Corona Virus in our lives, compassion among colleagues is no more a luxury but utmost necessary. Especially, when we are not able to meet in person. It goes without saying in the work-from-home norm employees are subjected to longer working hours and, juggling between personal and professional commitments. This is the grave time when employees don’t have anyone to talk to, share emotions, or vent out frustrations. The only means are video and phone calls. Therefore, employers should make use of technology to connect with employees on a regular basis asking about their well-being. A simple ‘Hello’ from a manager can make the day of a team member. One should try to inject a fervor of humanity and treat people as humans, not merely workforce.
Summary: Compassion among colleagues is an imperative value that should be inculcated without inhibitions or reservations. The benefits of compassion in workplace is vast and the ‘clever’ will not let this opportunity go in vain.